Listen Up Creative
Dec 2019 - present
Creative Director & Founder
Offer story-driven marketing services in the areas of content, design, strategy and development. Selected projects and accomplishments:
Directed content strategy for Futurestay as the SaaS start-up successfully raised $11 million in Series A funding.
- • Used content (including webinars, ebooks, video, case studies, press releases, blogs & more) to drive a 533% increase in organic traffic
Served as the director of digital communications for the grassroots campaign of U.S. Congressional candidate Pat Hackett.
- • Earned media coverage from the New York Times, Newsweek, Marie Claire, NBC News, Time Magazine, among others
- • 75% of voters contacted through campaign turned out to vote, compared with just 47% overall turnout
Acted as copy lead on agile sprint testing campaigns. Used in-depth discovery work and user personas to draft, test & iterate on messaging to drive growth.
- • Reduced CPC by 53% for electric vehicle rental start-up Borrow
- • Achieved a CPI 33% lower than global iOS average for Morty, an app for escape room enthusiasts
May 2016 - Dec 2019
Managed a department of 4 FTE specialists to to handle internal and external communications for the nonprofit that serves more than 1,200 individuals with disabilities.
• Led the “65 Stories for 65 Years” storytelling campaign that reached more than 1.3 million users on Facebook (including Justin Timberlake).
• Increased self-referrals to services by 16% by clarifying messaging around program offerings and benefits.
The Elkhart Truth
Dec 2014 - May 2016
• Maintained relationships with the superintendents and school boards of Elkhart County's seven public school districts.
• Visited all 55 public schools in the newspaper’s coverage area to learn from teachers and students in order to highlight positive and innovative education experiences.
• Served on PBS panel discussion regarding standardized test scores alongside politicians and superintendents.
Dec 2013 - Dec 2014
Education & Health Reporter
• Developed relationships and built trust with school and health leaders as a beat reporter.
• Delivered daily news content while also working on in-depth investigative pieces.
• Studied complex issues in health and education and distilled the information into interesting and informative articles.
The State Journal
Dec 2012 - Dec 2013
Education Reporter & Web Producer
• Reported on education legislation from Kentucky's capitol with articles detailing the impact on teachers, students and taxpayers.
• Filed dozens of open records requests and earned the trust of internal sources to expose a pattern of wrongful terminations by a state-funded university.
• Monitored and engaged with members of the community through online channels to ensure the newspaper delivered relevant content.